Whether you are staying home this year or visiting family, we want you, your family and your home to be safe during the holidays. With these six tips, you can ensure the safety of what matters most to you.
The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, District 6 and Harris County Constable’s Office, Precinct 4, hope these tips will help you have a safer and more enjoyable holiday season!
Holiday Safety at Home:
- Lock doors to your home, vehicle, garage and backyard gates – whether you are home or away. Remove valuables from vehicles and set alarms.
- Avoid making your home look unlived in. If you’ll be away – sign up for the Vacation Watch program. Ask a neighbor/friend to pick up newspapers, packages and notices left by your door. Use light timers to make it appear that someone is home.
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement when it is happening. Let law enforcement determine if suspicious people should be around or not.
- Don’t post your vacation plans on social media or leave this information on your answering machine while gone.
- Don’t leave a window or garage door cracked – a burglar can use this to help gain access to your home.
- Don’t open your door to anyone you do not know, including solicitors. Join The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch to get a “No Solicitor” decal and for more information about solicitors.