October is Crime Prevention Month and is a good opportunity to review community policing and crime prevention efforts in The Woodlands. Crime Prevention is a group effort and requires the community to take a proactive role in safety.
Knowing how to protect yourself and your property, and joining with your neighbors and law enforcement to make your neighborhood safer can reduce the opportunity for crime. Getting involved and taking responsibility for your neighborhood should be your first priority. The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch in collaboration with law enforcement gives all residents the tools they need for a safe and secure neighborhood.
Here are some simple steps that you can take to help prevent crime:
- Get to know your neighbors and join The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch
- Call 9-1-1 for any life threatening or property threatening emergency
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement as soon as you see or hear it. To make it even easier, add your law enforcement agency’s number to your cell phone:
- Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, 936-442-7797
- Harris County Constable’s Office, Precinct 4, 281-376-3472 (Village of Creekside Park)
- Lock the doors to your home and set your alarm
- Keep your garage doors closed and locked
- Lock your car and remove your valuables, or store them completely out of sight before you arrive at your destination
- Don’t open your door to anyone you do not know, including a solicitor
- When you are out and about, always pay attention and be aware of your surroundings
- When you arrive at your vehicle, have your keys ready and check the area around your vehicle for safety
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t seem right, avoid the situation and ask friends, family or security to accompany you, or call law enforcement when needed
- Sign up for Vacation Watch with your local law enforcement agency
For additional crime prevention tips and handouts, or to schedule a neighborhood watch meeting in your neighborhood, please contact The Woodlands Township Neighborhood Watch at 281-210-3800, visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/neighborhoodwatch or email email@example.com.